Alphabetical Lists of Entries in the Hic Leones Encyclopedia
On the following pages, you will find listings of all entries, documented in the Hic Leones Encyclopedia.
As examples of geographical entries of a 'region' (see search criteria), you will find here a small selection of A - Z listings of the German regions:
- Kingdom of Bavaria
- Prov. Rheineland in the Kingdom of Prussia
- Prov. Schleswig-Holstein in the Kingdom of Prussia
- Prov. Eastern Prussia in the Kingdom of Prussia
- Prov. Westphalia in the Kingdom of Prussia
[A 'region' is defined as a 'political administrative unit', e.g. a state, or a subdivision of a state. Examples of 'regions' could be: The British Empire; the kingdom of Bavaria; a province in Prussia; a département in France; a state in the USA; a protectorate in Africa etc.]
- The entries in the Encyclopedia (CD) contain the geographical names (entry title) and the corresponding description.
- Here on the website, you will only find the geographical names (entry title) without the corresponding description.
- In the Encyclopedia (CD), the Eastern-European entries are shown with the corresponding Eastern-European characters.
- Here on the website, to facilitate the search, the Eastern-European characters have been replaced by the 'basic' (non-accented) characters (see table):
Example: Čechy (Böhmen, Bohemia) becomes Cechy (Böhmen); Łańcut becomes Lancut.
- The letters in brackets, following the geographical name(s), represent the 'type' of the entry (see search criteria):
- Example: Breslau [O] stands for the 'town of Breslau'; Breslau [P] stands for the 'Regierungsbezirk (governmental district) Breslau' as well as for the 'Landkreis (county district) Breslau' (both being described in the Encyclopedia separately): Breslau [J] stands for 'Gerichtsbezirk Breslau' (Amtsgericht, Landesgericht und Oberlandesgericht; all described separately).
- The Encyclopedia (CD) contains 292 localities (Orte = [O]) named 'Neudorf' (24 x Newcastle, 32 x Washington etc.)
- Here on the website, we have replaced the 'duplicate names' (actually: individual villages!) by a single mentioning, e.g., instead of 'Washington [O], Washington [O], Washington [O] ...', you will find 'Washington [O]' only once, which stands for all localities called Washington (the localities Mount-Washington, Port-Washington etc. are listed in addition because they are 'Washingtons with further additions'). By doing so, we could reduce the volume of the given lists by about 20 %.
- On the following pages (A - Z), the geographical names are sorted alphabetically. If you intend to look up whether, e.g., "Deutsch-Beneschau (Nemecky-Benesov)", is documented in the Hic Leones Encyclopedia (on CD), you will find this name on page B, as well as on pages D and N.
- Searching the entire Hic Leones Site is easily done by Site-Search.